National Portrait Gallery library holdings loaded

National Portrait Gallery Heinz Archive and Library

Image copyright Philip Waterman

We are pleased to announce that the library holdings of the National Portrait Gallery Heinz Archive & Library are now live on Copac.

The National Portrait Gallery’s Library supports the Gallery’s research needs, with strengths in British portraiture, history, and biography.

The National Portrait Gallery has collected library materials since the founding of the Gallery in 1856, and the Heinz Archive & Library now holds approximately 35,000 books and exhibition catalogues, runs of 150 periodical titles (70 currently received), catalogues from sales featuring portraits from 1866 to the present, a collection of approximately 600 rare books, and a small number of theses and dissertations. Additionally, the Archive & Library holds extensive image files organized by sitter and by artist, an index of over 1,000,000 references to portraits, the Gallery’s Reference Collection of prints and drawings, and its Archive Collections: Gallery Records (the institutional records of the Gallery which date from its foundation to the present day) and a number of Collected Archives (material acquired from external sources because of its relevance to the study of British portraiture).

The library actively collects materials pertaining to portraiture, biography and British culture and history. It welcomes donations of relevant papers submitted for research degrees, which are made available to the public only under supervision.

To limit your search to the holdings of the National Portrait Gallery, go to the main search tab on http://copac.ac.uk/search and choose ‘National Portrait Gallery from the drop-down list of libraries.

St George’s Chapel Library, Windsor Castle loaded

St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

Image copyright the Dean and Canons of Windsor

We are pleased to announce that the library holdings of St George’s Chapel Archives and Chapter Library, Windsor Castle are now live on Copac. This is the first time that the library’s holdings have been available to search online.

The Library has been an integral part of the life of the College of St George from its foundation in 1348. The first books were kept chained to desks in the Chapel. A separate library was built in the 1480s above the Dean’s Cloister to house the growing number of books. Despite the loss of seventy of its manuscript books in 1612, donated to Sir Thomas Bodley for his new library in Oxford, the Library’s holdings continued to expand. In 1692 the books were removed to the Vicars’ Hall and since 1999 have been housed in air-conditioned book rooms in the Vicars’ Hall Undercroft. The library now contains nearly 6000 rare books, including nine incunables, many still in their original bindings. They cover a wide range of subjects: religion, history, classics, geography, topography, navigation, bibliography, mathematics and medicine.

Go to the main search tab on http://copac.ac.uk/search and choose ‘St George’s Chapel’ from the drop-down list of libraries to search just St George’s Chapel’s holdings.