We are pleased to announce that the library holdings of St George’s Chapel Archives and Chapter Library, Windsor Castle are now live on Copac. This is the first time that the library’s holdings have been available to search online.
The Library has been an integral part of the life of the College of St George from its foundation in 1348. The first books were kept chained to desks in the Chapel. A separate library was built in the 1480s above the Dean’s Cloister to house the growing number of books. Despite the loss of seventy of its manuscript books in 1612, donated to Sir Thomas Bodley for his new library in Oxford, the Library’s holdings continued to expand. In 1692 the books were removed to the Vicars’ Hall and since 1999 have been housed in air-conditioned book rooms in the Vicars’ Hall Undercroft. The library now contains nearly 6000 rare books, including nine incunables, many still in their original bindings. They cover a wide range of subjects: religion, history, classics, geography, topography, navigation, bibliography, mathematics and medicine.
Go to the main search tab on http://copac.ac.uk/search and choose ‘St George’s Chapel’ from the drop-down list of libraries to search just St George’s Chapel’s holdings.